IN THIS CORNER, WEIGHING IN AT 180 POUNDS, LEAD BACKUP ADMIN JOE BACKUP. AND IN THIS CORNER WEIGHING IN AT 175 POUNDS, SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMIN JOHN DATABASE. TODAYS FIGHT WILL BE 10 ROUNDS. THE WINNER: CONTROL OF ORACLE DATABASE BACKUPS.
Is this a regular fighting match in your IT organization over who has control of Oracle database backups and recovery? Are you one of the participants or are you someone on the sideline who’d like to sell tickets and make a few bucks? The challenges seem endless and everyone’s getting tired of all this in-fighting.
Here are some of the punches we’ve seen thrown:
- (left) DBAs want daily full backups to maximize critical database recovery, (block) backup team say full backups take too long and are hard to get done within backup windows.
- (right) DBAs want to be able to do more than one backup on some days, (left) backup team can barely get one done within backup windows and backup resources are needed for other backups.
- (left) DBAs want to keep weeks or months of full backup retention, (right) backup team says they take up too many resources and want to limit them to a couple of days or at most, a week.
- (left) DBAs want some backups done now on-demand, not just when scheduled, (block) backup team is busy doing other things on their regular schedule and there are resource limitations of bandwidth and target backup devices. (right) DBAs are tired of asking, (left) backup team is tired of interruptions.
- (right) DBAs want reports on-demand regarding backup success and off site copies, (uppercut) backup team is busy doing all the rest of their work and tired of being bothered all the time.
How can you stop the fighting?
Actually, it’s not as difficult as you may think it is. In fact, it’s a very simple 2 steps:
- First, switch your slow unreliable Oracle database backups over to an extremely fast deduplication storage solution.
- Then give your Oracle DBAs total control of their own backups and recovery using the Oracle RMAN utility that they already know and trust.
If you’re the backup admin, don’t panic yet, we’ve got you covered too! You can also leverage data protection management software that can give backup admins a single view of all replication and backup – even if you’re not controlling it. Here’s what our RMAN direct to a deduplicated storage solution:
- Speed up your backups typically by 50% or more so that daily full backups can be completed within backup windows with breathing room to spare for data growth.
- Ensure data integrity for critical Oracle databases with the industry’s best data protection
- Allow Oracle DBAs to perform their own DB backups & recovery using RMAN GUI or CLI.
- Provide RMAN full catalog awareness for all local and DR database copies.
- Provide longer space efficient database retention through efficient variable length inline deduplication technology.
- Provide cost effective and bandwidth efficient replication controlled by RMAN.
- Eliminate slow unreliable physical tape & all the associated problems and risks.
- Dramatically improve backup & recovery reliability and performance through automatic path load balancing and failover with less failed backup jobs to restart.
- Provide the ability to establish logical quotas to limit shared deduplication capacity to agreed upon limits with the DBAs. One threshold issues warnings, another will stop new backups.
- Eliminate expensive backup application licensing for Oracle databases because the DBAs will be using Oracle RMAN utility to perform database backups and recoveries.
- Stop the fighting and let the Oracle DBAs do their own backups and let the backup administrators focus resources on the rest of their backups.
If you’re ready to stop the fighting, improve your Oracle database backups, and make your DBAs happy, we’re ready to help with the industry’s leading Oracle database backup and recovery solution. It’s like having your cake and eating it too,