October 23rd was very cold in Chicago, almost 20 degrees below normal. But at the Westin Hotel near O’Hare Airport things were hot with nearly 600 customers attending the EMC Forum Chicago event. In 2013 there have been 55 different EMC Forum events happening across the country providing information about EMC’s exciting solutions portfolio helping thousands of existing and potential EMC customers better understand how to lead their own transformation.
The event was kicked off by Steve Crowe, the Central Division Senior VP, with the keynote address given by Jon Peirce, SVP, IT Private Cloud Infrastructure Services sharing the different ways that EMC is leveraging its own solutions to transform EMC into a more efficient organization. Following the keynote, there were 5 different tracks including 20 different sessions to choose from on topics that ranged from cloud transformation, backup recovery and archive, converged infrastructure with Vblock, VIPR, to Big Data. There were also 14 sponsor booths where folks could stop and talk about specific products and solutions. When I was a customer, I loved to attend these events to get the latest information on all things EMC.
I was lucky enough to be the presenter of “Changing the Game with EMC Backup and Recovery” for BRS. My session was full with even some attendees standing in the back which tells me there are still lots of folks out there struggling with backup and archive. I talked about how IT organizations that don’t focus enough on servicing the needs of their business units can create an accidental architecture which can be very inefficient, expensive, hard to manage, and not be as scalable as it needs to be. I provided an overview on how EMC’s data protection solutions for backup and archive can provide real value for their transformation journey. I also provided an update on our most recent launch for Data Domain, Avamar, and NetWorker.
I believe there is only 1 EMC Forum event left in 2013 (30 Oct is Dallas, where you can also say “hi
to EMCBackup) – but if you get the chance to attend EMC Forum next year, I highly recommend it. It was fun and very informative. In Chicago, EMC Forum was hot, and there was a real buzz in the air!
You know it’s that time of year again. Summer is winding down, and here on the East Coast it is even starting to feel like Fall is in the air. Crisper air. Indian Summer. Labor Day rapidly approaching. And what’s better than ushering in Fall than a piping hot cup of EMC Backup and Archive with a splash of VM awesome sauce? Hashtag NerdJuice (#nerdjuice).
That’s right – you guessed it! It’s a perfect time for a trip to San Francisco! Get ready kids, this is the stuff virtual dreams are made of….
As we’re getting ready to make our annual pilgrimage to the VM mecca that is VMworld, we thought we’d open our kimono and give you a preview of what’s in store for you at the show.
And do we have some massively cool stuff in store for you this year. Much cooler than massively parallel computing. No lies.
EMC Backup and Archive Booth activity - EMC Booth #1207
- First and foremost we’ll be standing by at the EMC Booth, starting on Sun, Aug 25th at 4 PDT during the Welcome Party, in the Solutions Exchange area to talk with you about how EMC Backup and Archive forms the basis of a healthy data protection architecture for software-defined data centers, mission critical applications, virtual desktop infrastructure, trusted IT and VSPEX Proven Infrastructure.
- Tyler Verri with Sub-Zero, an EMC Backup Recovery Systems customer, will be speaking in the EMC Theater starting at 3PM PDT on Mon, Aug 26th.
- EMC vSpecialists and our own EMC Elect Alex Almeida, will be standing by at the EMC Meet the Expert Bar to answer any burning questions you may have on VMware backup and archive.
- As a capstone to the week, Stephen Manley, the CTO of EMC Backup Recovery Systems Division, will be standing by in the EMC Meet the Expert Bar for a fireside chat on Wed at 1:55 PM PDT. He will discuss EMC Backup for VMware and also Protection Storage Architecture and why a sound strategy shouldn’t be accidental.
Sessions with EMC Backup and Archive Content
- You can also check out Chad Sakac’s session “STO5464 Leading Edge: Evolving to a Software-Defined Data Center” on Wed, Aug 28th from 11:30 – 12:30PM PDT in Moscone West, Room 3007.
- Also don’t miss Yossi Saad’s session, “BCO5276 Next Generation ‘Economical’ Data Protection for Business-Critical Applications” on Tue, Aug 27th from 4-5PM PDT in Moscone West, Room 3007.
- If that’s not enough, you can hear Phil George speak at the Intel Booth #1029 on Wed, Aug 28th at 2:30PM PDT about superior VMware Backup and Recovery Performance – powered by Intel Xeon E5.
- And, of course you can’t forget EMC Backup and Recovery for converged infrastructures, like the VCE Vblock System. Yours truly will also be giving two talks on Backup and Recovery Optimized for VCE Vblock Systems in the VCE Booth #1015 on Tue, Aug 27 at 4:45PM PDT and Wed, Aug 28th, at 3:15PM PDT.
- Join us on Mon, Aug 26th, from 3-4:20PM PST in the Wikibon Cube, where analyst Dave Vellante (@dvellante) will place the Backup Spotlight on Stephen Manley and Deepak Mohan, with CIO Ed Ricks from Beaufort Memorial Hospital, an EMC Backup Recovery Systems customer. The Cube interviews will be broadcast live via the SiliconAngle channel on YouTube if you can’t be there in person!
- We also have some great VMware Hands on Labs (HOLs) in Booth #235, brewed fresh by master EMC Backup and Archive virtuoso barista Alex Almeida and team. Highlights include vCenter UI integration in both Avamar and NetWorker and VM Instant Access with Avamar. The labs are titled: Lab #5 - Lightning Fast VM Recovery with EMC Avamar Featuring VM Instant Access and Lab #12 - Lightning Fast VM Recovery with EMC Avamar Featuring VM Instant Access.
- And be sure to take the EMC Hands of Lab, HOL-PRT-1303 EMC Infrastructure with the vCloud Suite, for additional Avamar feature exploration.
Get your vParty on!
- EMC CLOUDFEST² @ GHIRARDELLI SQUARE… Come party with the best on Tue, Aug 27th, from 8-10PM PDT. Stop by EMC Backup and Archive VIP event at McCormick’s & Kuleto’s to see what all the buzz is about and celebrate our recent launch success and VMworld festivities with us. And of course, we’ll have some great giveaways for all, and special giveaways if you’re one of the first 100 in! Tickets are limited. Register today!
And of course we’ll be at a number of other networking events including the Welcome Reception, #v0dgeball, the Hall Crawl and the #vRockstar Party featuring Train and Imagine Dragons.
We’ll be covering all of these events on social media so follow us on Twitter @EMCBackup for all the latest updates and news, and tweet to us and let us know how we’re doing! Also, we’re running some fun “Where in the VMworld” polls on the EMC Backup and Recovery Facebook page - how well do you know famous San Francisco locations (like this one)?
And stay tuned on Facebook and Twitter for how you can help us vote on what EMC Backup and Archive drink to offer at our Customer Appreciation Event Tuesday night.
We can’t wait to see you there – it’s going to be a great show.