You might know the song “I’ve Got the Blues” by the Rolling Stones. This song from the early 1970’s talks about losing a loved one. It’s a soulful, introspective song with each word carefully selected to deliver an important message, much like many songs from the Blues music genre. But the deep meaning of Blues music isn’t the impetus for this article – I prefer to discuss cheerful topics, like effectively protecting business data. But let’s stay on the topic of “The Blues”. Continue reading
Readers of my blogs probably know that I am guilty of spending the odd hour or three in a video game. My latest gaming quest is to work my way up the score ladder on the newly launched “VSPEX: The Simple Way To Deploy Your Cloud” game. As of this posting, I am at 20,000 points and aiming for the leader at 35,000! I will have to make some headway during my flights out to VMware PEX.
When first finding out about the game and launching it, I found the scoring mechanics interesting. The points you gain correlate with acquiring components to build a VSPEX solution! If you didn’t notice, the first component required for building a VSPEX in the game is Backup.
As I discuss in the video embedded at the top of this post, Backup is often tossed to the wayside when discussing private cloud deployments. This puts your business at a disadvantage before implementation even starts, and at a greater risk of data loss when not planning data protection proactively. We’ll certainly be elaborating more on this topic with VMware PEX attendees next week in San Francisco.
For those of you that will be heading out to VMware PEX you can take a look at a great preview put together by fellow blogger Phil George here. If you are specifically interested in our boot camp happening on Monday the 10th, you can also get a detailed agenda on Chad Sakac’s PEX Bootcamp Preview post. As Chad mentions, this boot camp will be epic and will include topics like EMC VSPEX, EMC Data Protection, and other incredible technology that EMC is working on in the coming quarters.
Once you are at the show stop by Booth #401 to see where you land on the top score list! We will have the game live in the booth, and I look forward at attempting to beat the high scores!
We told you about it in July, and now it’s here.
Avamar 7 and the new midrange Data Domain systems that we announced with our Backup to the Future launch event are now part of VSPEX Proven Infrastructures.
VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP) Advanced, powered by Avamar, is also now part of VSPEX. It’s the backup solution choice for 50 VM VSPEX Private Cloud, Exchange and SQL Server deployments when VMware is the hypervisor.
Why does all this matter? Backup is broken. Accidental architectures are spreading as application teams look for solutions, driving up cost and complexity. VSPEX with the new EMC (and VMware!) backup solutions offers a fast path to fix it all with simple, efficient and scalable backup. It’s a perfect match and now available!
As VMworld 2013 nears to a close, your head is probably spinning with new knowledge about the cloud and cloud infrastructures. How could it not, right?
And, hopefully, you’ve had the opportunity to learn more about the EMC cloud story, the three paths we offer—build your own, VSPEX and VCE Vblock Systems— and why backup is vital to all three.
If you deploy cloud infrastructure without thinking about backup, you’ll face some unwanted challenges. Not only is traditional backup struggling under the pressures of data growth but virtualization is stressing it too.
Left unchanged, backup can have a domino effect with your organization: Data owners (e.g., the storage, VM and app owners), seeing the old backup ways are breaking down even faster than before, will find solutions on their own. Soon, you’ll have protection silos and an “accidental” backup architecture for your new cloud environment. That means cost, complexity and risk—and that’s just what you’re working to eliminate! Forget about business acceleration.
A better approach is to address protection at the start. Because backup is built into both Vblock Systems and VSPEX, your organization gets the performance and visibility it needs IT-wide. This eliminates silos and accidental architectures, and it will allow you to scale efficiently and simply as you grow.
So as you consider your next cloud moves, don’t forget backup. If you go with one of EMC’s three paths, you won’t. Best of all, with EMC you’ll be able to defy one of the most common conventions in IT today– broken backup.
You know it’s that time of year again. Summer is winding down, and here on the East Coast it is even starting to feel like Fall is in the air. Crisper air. Indian Summer. Labor Day rapidly approaching. And what’s better than ushering in Fall than a piping hot cup of EMC Backup and Archive with a splash of VM awesome sauce? Hashtag NerdJuice (#nerdjuice).
That’s right – you guessed it! It’s a perfect time for a trip to San Francisco! Get ready kids, this is the stuff virtual dreams are made of….
As we’re getting ready to make our annual pilgrimage to the VM mecca that is VMworld, we thought we’d open our kimono and give you a preview of what’s in store for you at the show.
And do we have some massively cool stuff in store for you this year. Much cooler than massively parallel computing. No lies.
EMC Backup and Archive Booth activity – EMC Booth #1207
- First and foremost we’ll be standing by at the EMC Booth, starting on Sun, Aug 25th at 4 PDT during the Welcome Party, in the Solutions Exchange area to talk with you about how EMC Backup and Archive forms the basis of a healthy data protection architecture for software-defined data centers, mission critical applications, virtual desktop infrastructure, trusted IT and VSPEX Proven Infrastructure.
- Tyler Verri with Sub-Zero, an EMC Backup Recovery Systems customer, will be speaking in the EMC Theater starting at 3PM PDT on Mon, Aug 26th.
- EMC vSpecialists and our own EMC Elect Alex Almeida, will be standing by at the EMC Meet the Expert Bar to answer any burning questions you may have on VMware backup and archive.
- As a capstone to the week, Stephen Manley, the CTO of EMC Backup Recovery Systems Division, will be standing by in the EMC Meet the Expert Bar for a fireside chat on Wed at 1:55 PM PDT. He will discuss EMC Backup for VMware and also Protection Storage Architecture and why a sound strategy shouldn’t be accidental.
Sessions with EMC Backup and Archive Content
- You can also check out Chad Sakac’s session “STO5464 Leading Edge: Evolving to a Software-Defined Data Center” on Wed, Aug 28th from 11:30 – 12:30PM PDT in Moscone West, Room 3007.
- Also don’t miss Yossi Saad’s session, “BCO5276 Next Generation ‘Economical’ Data Protection for Business-Critical Applications” on Tue, Aug 27th from 4-5PM PDT in Moscone West, Room 3007.
- If that’s not enough, you can hear Phil George speak at the Intel Booth #1029 on Wed, Aug 28th at 2:30PM PDT about superior VMware Backup and Recovery Performance – powered by Intel Xeon E5.
- And, of course you can’t forget EMC Backup and Recovery for converged infrastructures, like the VCE Vblock System. Yours truly will also be giving two talks on Backup and Recovery Optimized for VCE Vblock Systems in the VCE Booth #1015 on Tue, Aug 27 at 4:45PM PDT and Wed, Aug 28th, at 3:15PM PDT.
- Join us on Mon, Aug 26th, from 3-4:20PM PST in the Wikibon Cube, where analyst Dave Vellante (@dvellante) will place the Backup Spotlight on Stephen Manley and Deepak Mohan, with CIO Ed Ricks from Beaufort Memorial Hospital, an EMC Backup Recovery Systems customer. The Cube interviews will be broadcast live via the SiliconAngle channel on YouTube if you can’t be there in person!
- We also have some great VMware Hands on Labs (HOLs) in Booth #235, brewed fresh by master EMC Backup and Archive virtuoso barista Alex Almeida and team. Highlights include vCenter UI integration in both Avamar and NetWorker and VM Instant Access with Avamar. The labs are titled: Lab #5 – Lightning Fast VM Recovery with EMC Avamar Featuring VM Instant Access and Lab #12 – Lightning Fast VM Recovery with EMC Avamar Featuring VM Instant Access.
- And be sure to take the EMC Hands of Lab, HOL-PRT-1303 EMC Infrastructure with the vCloud Suite, for additional Avamar feature exploration.
Get your vParty on!
- EMC CLOUDFEST² @ GHIRARDELLI SQUARE… Come party with the best on Tue, Aug 27th, from 8-10PM PDT. Stop by EMC Backup and Archive VIP event at McCormick’s & Kuleto’s to see what all the buzz is about and celebrate our recent launch success and VMworld festivities with us. And of course, we’ll have some great giveaways for all, and special giveaways if you’re one of the first 100 in! Tickets are limited. Register today!
And of course we’ll be at a number of other networking events including the Welcome Reception, #v0dgeball, the Hall Crawl and the #vRockstar Party featuring Train and Imagine Dragons.
We’ll be covering all of these events on social media so follow us on Twitter @EMCBackup for all the latest updates and news, and tweet to us and let us know how we’re doing! Also, we’re running some fun “Where in the VMworld” polls on the EMC Backup and Recovery Facebook page – how well do you know famous San Francisco locations (like this one)?
And stay tuned on Facebook and Twitter for how you can help us vote on what EMC Backup and Archive drink to offer at our Customer Appreciation Event Tuesday night.
We can’t wait to see you there – it’s going to be a great show.